Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Artist Interview, Guild Member, Cindy Mootz


How long have you been a resident of Dedham? 
I've been a resident of Dedham for about 7 years. Before that I lived about 10 minutes away in West Roxbury, so I was quite familiar with Dedham before I moved here. I knew when I was looking for a house, that Dedham was my first choice. It has such a nice sense of community.

What kind of changes are you seeing in the Dedham Art Community? 
The Dedham Art community is just exploding right now. Starting with the Open Studios last May, the creation of the Dedham Square Artist Guild in October and now the Dedham Public Art Project, the art community is growing by leaps and bounds. It's an exciting time to be an artist in Dedham. There is a new sense of Dedham as an “artist community” that I don't think existed a year ago.

When did you start painting? 
I've been painting since I was a child, but seriously for the last 15 years or so.

Do you come from an artistic family? 
My parents were both “crafty”, but neither were painters. I think they were more artistic than they thought they were. I have a sister in Indiana who is a painter and a niece in Chicago who does multi-media art. I have several other nieces and a nephew who are also quite artistic in their own way. My sister and I love to paint together when we have the opportunity.

What is your favorite medium? monotype or watercolor?
I have to say that monotype is my favorite medium, although I do enjoy watercolor as well. Monotype is such an interesting process, in that you only get one actual print at the end of the process. You can get textural effects with monotype that you don't get with direct painting. The other exciting part of it is that you really don't know what it will look like until you run it through the press. The element of surprise is my favorite part!

What is your inspiration? 
I have so many sources of inspiration. Nature, people, animals all inspire me. I'm also very interested in composition and the use of color. I find wherever I go, I tend to look at things as potential paintings. 

Where do you show your art? 
Right now I'm showing my art primarily through the Dedham Square Artist Guild. I also belong to the Monotype Guild of New England and exhibit at their shows. In addition, I exhibit in area shows when I have the opportunity.

You did the Dedham Open Studios last year, what was your favorite things about being part of this art event?
It was really exciting being part of such a big event that was so well attended. I really enjoyed interacting with the public and sharing my art. I had a great time! Are you doing this event this year? Of course!


You can find Cindy Mootz art on Facebook



No comments:

Post a Comment