Monday, July 23, 2012

Behind the Rabbits Part II, Guild Artists talk about the Rabbits



"Patch" by Guild Artist, Iris Sonnenschein



I'm a quilter who prefers "art" quilts to the traditional, a preference that began with my frustration with trying to make all those corners meet!  I'm often told my quilts look like paintings, so I thought it would be fun to paint something that looks like a quilt.  I decided on a somewhat traditional-quilt look (straight lines and yes, corners) so it could easily identify as a quilted bunny.  It was a LOT of work and a ton of fun.  I was surprised that some of the paints took 3 coats to cover while one - the gorgeous blue - took TEN. 

I wasn't very happy with the bunny until I began stenciling the "fabric" designs over the painted blocks.  All of a sudden what I had in my head when designing "Patch" started showing up on the sculpture in front of me! I started working on the bunny in my backyard, under a canopy; after a few days of torrential rain I moved him inside on top of my kitchen table.  Patch seemed happy enough, but my family and I spent a week eating in our family room....no space for meals and a 5' rabbit in the kitchen!  Now that he's done, I am happy with the final result - he's colorful, cute and even if you look closely, the corners match up!

"Patch"lives at St. Susanna's Triangle
Sponsored by: Dedham Junior Woman's Club


"Townie" by Guild Artist, Marietta Apollonio.



"After the 100 hours spent with "Townie", it was a sad day to see him leave the our dining room. Working on this rabbit helped strengthen my personal artistic process of not sketching out an idea first. Something I've been doing more and more lately. I love to stare at a canvas and just envision what I want the final image to be, then making that a reality with the brush and paint, creating a fluid motion.
This was such a wonderful and positive experience. The thought I drew from was the idea of a journey -- town to city to countryside to mountain and back again -- what you might encounter as you drive from town to town. The viewer gets to take a little trip of their own in an imaginary world, as they walk around the rabbit and explore the houses and environment."

He is located at Whole Foods in Dedham
Sponsored by: Whole Foods Market



The Rabbits are part of the Dedham Public Art Project under the umbrella of Dedham Shines. For a full list of area artists designing and painting rabbits, please go here. More to be placed soon.

Fun article by Caterpickles, Through the Lens of The Five-Year-Old: The Dedham Public Art Project


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the link to Caterpickles and for the background information on Iris S's concept for Patch. The 5YO and I found it really helpful in developing tomorrow's episode of Through the Lens of The Five-Year-Old: The Bunny at St. Susanna's Triangle.

    ReplyDelete