Friday, October 12, 2012

Children's Tales, by Iris Sonnenschein

Jack_and_Beanstalk.jpgIn preparing for my upcoming shows, including Roslindale Open Studios and Paradise City Marlborough, I wanted to create some additional smaller works.  I love children's tales (who doesn't??) and picked six stories to start (dunno...there might be more...):  Jack and the Beanstalk, The Ugly Duckling, Goldilocks, Rapunzel, The Secret Garden and The Princess and the Pea.
 Ugly_Duckling.jpgMost children's books have truly extraordinary illustrations, and  I didn't want to create a "picture of Goldilocks" or a "picture of the Princess and the Pea."  Instead, I was looking to make something that represented the story.  A picture quilt that took the viewer a moment before s/he could say, "Oh!  That's Jack (or Goldi, or Ugly, etc). 
 Goldilocks.jpgThese particular stories seemed to lend themselves to "interpretation" possibilities.Three of the six are pretty obvious, and three are a bit more abstract.  In each, I tried to create a snapshot of a moment in the story.  I thought these would work well in a child's room even when he or she got a bit older.
 Rapunzel.jpg
 In general - and especially for the upcoming fall shows - I have several large quilts.  My definition of  "large" is a quilt with at least one side over 30 inches.  These take a great deal of time to create, which results in a relatively higher price. 
I wanted to come up with a group of smaller quilts that could be created in a reasonable amount of time and would therefore be more affordable to a wider audience. 
 Secret_Garden.jpg
  I only sketched out one quilt, Jack & the Beanstalk, mostly because I needed to make the cow....  I created the other five directly on the batting, cutting up (a LOT of) fabric, auditioning bits of this one and discarding pieces of that one. 
Even though many framed "quilts" are actually fabric collages with the material simply glued in place, each of these six pieces is fully quilted; the heaviest quilting is on Secret Garden.
My final decision had to do with framing. Traditionally quilts are not framed. They have a sleeve running along the back top of the piece through which you can insert a rod for hanging.

 princess_and_the_pea.jpg
Lately, however, I've seen more quilts framed and realize that it can make it easier for a client to hang a quilt -- and care for it -- if it's behind glass.  I thought this would be especially true for pieces going into a child's room.  So, I purchased frames and painted them in bright colors that coordinated with the piece I placed inside. 
These will be shown at Roslindale Open Studios November 3&4.  If you can't wait until then you can visit them at the Dedham Square Artist Guild on High St. in Dedham.  I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment