Monday, October 29, 2012

Impressions of Reflections, Interview, Gillian Jackson





When did you start painting?

When I was a kid I used to like to copy stuff, drawings, diagrams. One time I copied a really detailed diagram of the inside of a locomotion engine! Very odd. I remember copying "Le Lac D'Annecy" by Cezanne when I was about 12. But I never really 'started' painting at all, never took a painting class. I would often start something in a fit of enthusiasm but never finish it, apparently one of the lesser appealing traits of a Gemini!


Why did you start painting?

So often people would look at one of my photos, particularly one of the more abstract ones, and ask "is that a painting?" So for years I've had the intention of painting these photos but never really found the time. But this year I decided to give it a go.


What do you like about painting vs photography?

Painting is much more relaxing especially if you are painting from a photo (as opposed to painting en plain air, I would imagine). The hard part is done already - waiting for the right light etc. Plus a certain amount of artistic license is feasible.

I'll always be a photographer. After much of a lifetime looking at the world through a viewfinder it's second nature. But I think I'm going to have fun making paintings!

Original Photos






No comments:

Post a Comment