Tuesday, September 24, 2013

“Making Waves” – An Artist Challenge, Lisa Walker


making waves
“Making Waves” – An Artist Challenge, opens with a reception on Thursday, September 26th from 6-8pm at the Dedham Community Theatre.
artist challenges
The Challenge:  “MAKING WAVES”
“Waves… on the water, to a friend, in the status quo. How do you like to make waves? Whether it is causing a stir or literally making a splash in water, this Artist Challenge asks artists to shake things up a bit, we want to see how you can make waves! “
IMG_6786
Here is the story of my piece….
I grew up on an peninsula of land north of Boston and as an adult, I spend most summer weekends at the beach either south of Boston or in southern Rhode Island.  Water is part of my life. I enjoy watching the waves, the sunsets over the water, boats, and exploring the beach.  Collecting sea glass is one of my favorite things to do.
seaglass
I wanted to make a piece that would hold the sea glass I collect, remind me of the lighthouses that I love, give the illusion of rocking like a boat in the water, and incorporate the movement of a wave.
vessel
throwing to create the space for sea glass.
making waves
trimming to create the desired effects: reference to light house shape and illusion of rocking movement.
making waves
glazed with crushed sea glass and ready for the kiln
making waves
complete!
This is a one of a kind piece. It will be part of a bigger exhibit that opens this Thursday, September 26th at the Dedham Community Theater.  Immediately following the reception, my piece will be moved to the Dedham Square Artist Guild Gallery across the street from the Theater where it will be on display and for sale with the other three dimensional artwork. Two dimensional work will remain at the Theater for the duration of the exhibit.
For more information of this and other artist challenges.  Visit the Dedham Square Artist Guild!

No comments:

Post a Comment