Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Artist Opening Reception this Saturday Night





Artists of the Month — Mark Dooley

Opening reception
Saturday, April 5th from 6pm - 8pm
at the Dedham Square Artist Guild

Featuring Encaustic Art by Mark Dooley

Meet the Artist and learn about Mark's process and inspiration

Artist Statement: Mark Dooley

My art is inspired from the landscape, a subject matter I have always been drawn to. I tend to choose scenes that are compelling through their mood or colors. Once a composition is settled upon through preliminary sketches, I begin small encaustic studies and monoprints. Often some of these small works become finished pieces while others inform larger encaustic paintings in the future.

The use of encaustic paint creates rich layers of color and texture that add to the complexity of a final painting. The medium also enables my process to become increasing intuitive and playful. My favorite tools include a palette knife, household iron, and heat gun. My goal with all of these works is to create beauty through color and texture, while fostering a process that is creative and compelling for myself.

Recently I have been working on charcoal drawings. I have always enjoyed drawing and it's great to get back into it. I discovered a strong way to finish the drawings is by mounting them on wood and then coating the work with beeswax. The final product is rich and unique and permanent. I'm going to continue with the encaustic for a long time, I really enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment