Thursday, May 29, 2014

“FUN” ~ A Dedham Square Artist Guild Exhibit by Lisa Walker

“FUN” ~ A Dedham Square Artist Guild Exhibit

by lisawbwalker
"FUN" ~ A Dedham Square Artist Guild Exhibit opens tonight, Thursday, May 29th with a reception at the Dedham Community Theater from 6:00 - 8:00 PM.
The Dedham Square Artist Guild provides the artist challenge for the exhibition.  This one went like this:
“Fun”... Welcome to the funhouse... this challenge is about all things that make us happy, laugh, feel exhilarated, fill us with joy! So... what do you do for fun? Tell us! Better yet, SHOW us! Use any medium to tell us about what fun means to you or those you observe... come on, have some fun with this challenge!!
funThis challenge inspired me to create a set of mugs. The surface decoration is where I explored the theme and gave these two some FUN.
 
 
 
fun mugs
To create a vessel for my theme, I threw two mugs that were similar in size, but had subtle differences to make each one unique. Special attention was given to the "foot" to elevate and well define it.  Taking time to think through each part of a piece is what sets it apart....  these mugs were entering in an exhibit and needed to look their best!
fun
The handle is the first place the mug meets it's user and should be inviting, functional and smooth.  The second place the mug meets the user is at the rim.
IMG_0457
The surface decoration above is an image of unfired glaze before it is put into it's final firing in the electric kiln.  Dots for me symbolize FUN and I have used them in my work before when emphasizing "play".  I experimented with stripes and dots for this set to create a different space on the surface.  I used wax resist, pouring, dipping and layering when I decorated these mugs.
IMG_0599You can't have FUN alone, you need a friend! That is why I chose a set of two mugs for this challenge.
This challenge was open to all artists working in any medium. Come see the show tonight! It opens with a reception from 6-8pm in the lower gallery at the Dedham Community Theater.  The exhibit runs through July 28th, 2014.  All Artwork is For Sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment